AW: folder icons where should they be set

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:51:01 BST 2015

On Freitag, 11. September 2015 09:00:57 CEST, Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Aren't these XDG standard dirs you can even configure? Just
> show the folder at XDG images with a pictures folder icon and so
> on.
>
> If you use different folders without telling the system, it's
> your own fault ;)

What fault? I actually don't want the system to know where I store what stuff (for the inevitable consequence is that the next smartass dumps his junk there and then I can go after cleaning it up ;-)

It's certainly ok to default the $XDG_DIR_FOOBAR icons, I merely questioned the approach of xdg-user-dirs which by default (re)creates empty dirs on login and requires the user to edit some config file to stop such annoyance - feels offensive (in contrast to /etc/skel)

At least xdg-user-dirs could (should?) certainly also create ~/.directory entries on it's aggressive directory creation (since that's the common and globally applying approach to alter folder icons)

Cheers,
Thomas