folder icons where should they be set

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 07:57:04 BST 2015

On Freitag, 11. September 2015 00:16:35 CEST, Harald Sitter wrote:

> being my confused self I am rather clueless as to where the correct
> place to implement this is, so any help on this would be very welcome.

http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html

Guessing the "correct" folder icon by the directory name/path is rather wonky.
I don't have ~/music or ~/images but somewhen (ages ago) created ~/MyFiles and put subdirs for specific types there.

So i rather have ~/MyFiles/Images than eg. "~/Images" or "~/My Images" or "~/MyImages" or "~/Meine Bilder" - which is localized and that's the next problem of "guessing" icons from directory names.

A distro could possibly add downstream patches to dolphin and/or KFileItem to match their autocreated paths (because they also patched useradd instead of using /etc/skel?) but I doubt there's any way to do that upstream without adding a *very* long and hackish list of path/icon mapping (ending up incompatible with the hackish(?) list in gnome and totally not covering other desktop environments.

=> simply follow the present standards to
a) create a $HOME structure
b) define directory icons etc.

Cheers,
Thomas