Porting to frameworks 2: libkcompactdisc

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Sat Sep 5 23:59:29 BST 2015

Hi,

On 4 September 2015 at 04:58, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the new fancy library naming scheme is
> "libKF5Xxx.so.SOVERSION", regardless of it being part of KF5 or not.
> Thus libKF5CompactDisc.so.5.

As of now, the code in the frameworks branch builds libKF5CompactDisc.so.5.

I've set it this way for a few reasons:

1) From the perspective of a library user who's playing with and
getting to grips with how to use KDE libraries (and is not a seasoned
KDE dev), all he has to do is add "CompactDisc" to the
find_packages(KF5) line. Purely from the point of a library user, this
is much easier to do.

2) libKF5Screen does it this way and adding it to a project is a
breeze (see point 1).

3) This way, the library is co-installable with the KDE4 version.

The main plus point is number 1 - instead of thinking from the POV of
a KDE Multimedia developer, from the point of a guy who's just playing
with code this way is more intuitive, and we don't give up much in
order to keep it this way - all we need to ensure is that the version
number of this library stays equal to or greater than the minimum
required Frameworks version.

My two pennies.

-- Boudhayan