QIcon::fromTheme

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sun May 24 02:45:57 BST 2015

Hello all,

I'm confused about how QIcon::fromTheme works (or maybe how it's
supposed to work?) I've got Kmouth frameworks branch built and
installed into /usr/local on two different machines. In both cases it
installs phrase.png and phrasebook.png icons into
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/XxY/actions and XDG_DATA_DIRS is set so
QIcon::themeSearchPaths is giving /usr/local/share as one of the paths
it is searching. Yet QIcon::fromTheme(QLatin1String("phrase")) gives
no icon unless I copy the icon from
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/actions/ to
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/actions. I looked a bit in qicon.cpp
itself to see how it's doing that. and it's using some QIconEngine. Is
that creating an instance of our KIconEngine because the
frameworkintegration platformtheme gives that for it's
createIconEngine method? Is this a bug in KIconEngine itself that it's
 not searching the XDG paths specified by the icon spec? Any hints
would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeremy