KScreenGenie moved to KDE Review

Boudhayan Gupta me at baloneygeek.com
Mon Jun 15 22:15:56 BST 2015

Hi,

KScreenGenie has been moved to KDE Review, with the final intended
location being kdegraphics.

KScreenGenie is intended to replace KSnapshot as the the KDE
Screenshot Utility. It has been written from scratch as a KF5 app,
although portions of core code has been imported from KSnapshot. The
actual image capture code is handled by a platform-specific native
backend. Currently only an X11 backend exists, written in pure xcb and
using libkscreen for proper multi-monitor handling. This design makes
supporting Wayland (when an API becomes available) extremely easy, as
only an image capture backend (which is a class with 4 overridden
methods) needs to be written.

The app actually starts on Wayland in Wayland mode, but since it uses
the Dummy backend on Wayland there is no image capture functionality
on that platform yet.

Features lost over KSnapshot is the ability to grab areas of the
screen defined by freeform selections (Freehand Region), which is just
plain weird in its current form (but I'm willing to add a feature,
something like GIMP's Free Select Tool, if there's demand, at a later
version), and the ability to capture individual widgets in an
application (which will not work at all on Wayland due to its
architecture and does not work properly in X11 these days because Qt
and GTK no longer create X11 subwindows for every widget, preferring
to handle widget interaction manually).

The other thing I'd like to mention here is that there was talk on IRC
and the kde-community list a few months back that if KScreenGenie does
end up passing review and replacing KSnapshot, that it should take the
KSnapshot name and just become KSnapshot 2.0. I'd be grateful if
someone could tell me how to proceed for this.

Sincerely,
Boudhayan Gupta