RFC: KDE Bugzilla Bugs Expiration

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:55:30 BST 2015

On Freitag, 31. Juli 2015 19:29:53 CEST, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> I also do not see the point in nagging the user after a certain period of
> time if nobody else ever cared to comment on the bug. Feels a bit like
> little kids asking "Are we there yet?" over and over again.

The idea is not only to get rid of cruft (bugs which "auto-fixed" either implicitly by eg. code cleanups or as dupes) but also to remind developers by resubmission (eg. when a bug fell off the table during high activity periods)

> I do see the point in Daniel's proposal because the time a release goes EOL
> feels like a sensible point in time for asking whether the bug still exists.

- when do "unspecified" version bugs EOL?
- when do "git" version bugs EOL?
- what defines EOL? supported versions in bugzilla?
- What if a user reports a bug against a version that turns EOL next week?
- Do we want bugs to be forgotton for 3 years or more and then tell the reporter: "we're now dropping support, sorry that nobody ever cared. if you want this to go unnoticed for another three years, please reopen the bug"?

A friendly reminder for user and developer (eg. until the bug could be CONFIRMED) to keep bugreports alive seems the better - and half a year is not exactly "nagging", but will also typically cross many distro updates.

Cheers,
Thomas