RFC: KDE Bugzilla Bugs Expiration

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 13:05:09 BST 2015

Le Friday 31 July 2015, 11:07:54 Daniel Vrátil a écrit :
> On Friday, July 31, 2015 10:12:00 AM Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think one of the problems with our current Bugzilla database is that it
> > contains a lot of "old" bugs and wishs.
>
> True that!
>
> > As the manpower is limited and we sometimes not even keep up with the
> > incoming new bugs, might it be a good idea to adopt a similar strategy
> > like
> > the Qt Project and expire bugs that got not changed since more than one
> > year?
> >
> > The idea would that a scripts closes all bugs that have no activity in the
> > last year e.g. on a weekly basis and the closing comment would contain
> > some
> > gentle note that if the bug is still an issue, the reporter (or any person
> > on CC) can just reopen it again.
>
> We were actually discussing something similar for KDE PIM but our idea was
> based on Fedora, i.e. closing all bugs for given release when the release
> goes EOL. There is a comment added by a bot 3 weeks before EOL stating that
> the release will go EOL and if user thinks the bug is still valid in
> newer/current release, they should re-assign to newer release. When the
> release actually goes EOL all bugs still assigned to it are closed. The
> advantage of this approach IMO is that it also clears out bugs where the
> reporters are no longer available/willing to provide additional info to
> devs and at the same time without losing bugs which might be important yet
> non-trivial to fix (read: take more than a year for a dev to get there).
>
> Especially for KDE PIM, given the size of the userbase and the amount of
> developers (3), bugs often take more than a year to get to and to be fixed.

+1
As Daniel wrote we have a lot of bug and a very small team.
So we can't able to fix bug in 1 year.
And I don't want to see all bugs closed after 1 year because it's useful to
read all bug and sometime it takes me some months/years to fix bugs.

Regards

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr