RFC: KDE Bugzilla Bugs Expiration

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 10:35:51 BST 2015

El Divendres, 31 de juliol de 2015, a les 11:02:44, Dominik Haumann va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Christoph Cullmann
>
> <cullmann at absint.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think one of the problems with our current Bugzilla database is that it
> > contains a lot of "old" bugs and wishs.
> >
> > As the manpower is limited and we sometimes not even keep up with the
> > incoming new bugs, might it be a good idea to adopt a similar strategy
> > like the Qt Project and expire bugs that got not changed since more than
> > one year?
> >
> > The idea would that a scripts closes all bugs that have no activity in the
> > last year e.g. on a weekly basis and the closing comment would contain
> > some gentle note that if the bug is still an issue, the reporter (or any
> > person on CC) can just reopen it again.
> >
> > I think this would make a lot of time consuming bug triaging much easier.
>
> There was a discussion about this at Akademy one evening, and the general
> conclusion is that it seems to work quite well for the Qt Project.
>
> It is important, though, that the message we send with auto-closing a
> bug is nice
> and tells the user to just reopen the report to keep it alive. Then I
> think this would
> be a good solution.
>
> Of course, some wishes and valid bugs would be automatically closed then,
> too. But this is probably not a big issue, since a wish that will never get
> implemented
> is useful neither for us as developers nor for the users at all.
>
> And if there are bug reports that from a developer's perspective should not
> be auto-closed, then we could attach a custom tag 'no-auto-close' or so to
> the bug. Then this script could ignore the tagged ones.
>
> Comments? Strong objections? ;)

As a user I hate it when this happens:

1) I report a bug
2) 2 years go by
3) The bug gets autoclosed because noone bothered to look at it when it can be
easily reproduced very easily.

This pretty much guarantees i will never report a bug for that project again.

I'm all in favour of closing bugs that are waiting for long time for user to
answer a question the developer made.

Closing bugs that were reported and had 0 answers from us I disagree they
should be closed, what should happen is that they should be easily noticeable
so more advanced users/triagers can go through them and try to verify/confirm
them.

Cheers,
  Albert