Another proposal for modernization of our infrastructure

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Jan 31 19:52:44 GMT 2015

On 01/31/2015 08:37 PM, Christoph Feck wrote:
> Excuse me, but if KDE developers will have to follow equivalent steps
> as described at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Setting-up-Gerrit to
> contribute, then I predict another big loss of developers.

This information could be pared down considerably and presented
much more nicely - and would have to be if we decide to use
gerrit. In addition, kdesrc-build could automate some of the
local setup (Qt's ./init-repository script does as well) to get
people started faster.

I agree the barrier-to-entry with gerrit is high, but I don't
consider that Qt page to be up to our standards if we were to
put serious thought behind communicating the use of gerrit.

Keep in mind though I've raged quite a bit about gerrit's UI
in this thread, and yes, this is part of it. I think gerrit's
useful, but I don't enjoy using it, personally.

> Christoph Feck (kdepepo)

Cheers,
Eike