Another proposal for modernization of our infrastructure

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jan 31 11:51:09 GMT 2015

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 23:14:01 Ben Cooksley wrote:

> About the only point left standing is that it doesn't check individual
> subcommits, but we've yet to see whether the KDE project as a whole
> sees this as necessary - especially considering that the vast majority
> of projects would use CI in an advisory role only for code reviews,
> and would regular developers continuing to push directly
> (necessitating post-push CI anyway).

I don't know how the rest of KDE does it, but in Calligra we have a pretty
strict new-features-in-branches policy. You develop a new feature in a branch,
and then put it up for review when it's finished or at some important
milestone.

When I work in a feature branch, I often make 20-50 commits, smaller and
bigger, before I'm done and >100 is far from unheard of.  Naturally I make
sure that my patches build before I commit anything but also naturally I don't
test all configurations or all platforms.

I think it would be VERY bad utilization of the KDE resources to check all my
commits with the full power of CI. It's a good habit to make small and simple
changes and frankly I think it would be impossible to do.

Or have I misunderstood what people mean when they say "subcommit"?