Another proposal for modernization of our infrastructure

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jan 29 17:16:03 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 27 January 2015 11:08:49 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi,
> as promised, here is a proposal on how our infrastructure can be improved,
> with emphasis on service integration. There are screenshots inside.
>
> Feedback is very welcome.

Hello Jan,

thank you very much for this exhaustive overview of what could be done based
on Gerrit and other tools. This, like the other report on Phabricator,
educated me in many aspects.

FWIW, this document reads like a fairy tale to me. The fact that so much is
already tested and deployed, paired with the improved workflow (imo) and the
potential improvements in the future (fix whitespace issues instead of
nitpicking them? yeeehaaa!), really tips the scale in favor of your proposal -
in my opinion.

There are "only" two issues, which I think should definitely be addressed in
the document in sec. 8 ("Summary of Required Future Work"):

One is an improvement to the Gerrit Web UI for reviewing. This was reported by
many people, and I agree with all of them. But, contrary to some of the
others, I don't think this is a blocker that outranks all the other huge
benefits. Rather, I think we can fix this ourselves, if required. Hell, it's
just about improving the UI theme and implementing a better patch view (which
is btw already done in the Qt Gerrit!). You need help? Count me in!

Second, is a proposal for replacing ChiliProject for code browsing, i.e.
something that can visualize the tree structured used by KDE and allows us to
see short descriptions of projects and the maintainers of that codebase. You
mention something in that regard in 3.2.12, but no actual tool to replace this
- or am I missing that? I'm also aware that Phabricator would not have
anything like that either, as it cannot cope with our tree structure.

Furthermore, while the Zuul stuff sounds nice to have in the future, I'd also
say we don't necessarily need to change our current Jenkins setup. I propose,
to first fix the real issues we have (i.e. ChiliProject etc. pp.). Then,
later, we can enable Zuul stuff for more and more projects, if they wish so.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de