Feature matrix for future infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 23:10:02 GMT 2015

On Monday, 26 January 2015 18:11:34 CEST, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Eg. I can very well see that somebody concerned w/ i18n would
> like to lookup code via cgit (or similar - no flames here,
> please ;-), download a single file, fix a so far untranslated
> string, "diff -pru" it with the original and simply upload the
> patch w/o even compiling the entire software himself.

It will be even easier -- the upcoming Gerrit 2.11 contains an online
editor, so the workflow will be "open file, edit it, push a button for
making a change request".

> The current demo setup would only require to add one of the
> -existing- webfrontends.
> I assume that it was simply not done (for the demo setup)
> because committing to :refs/for is just much more efficient for
> regular contributors to a project (like rbtools, but minus the
> extra CLI to learn/remember) than clicking through RB or
> similar.

Yes, it never occured to me that patch upload is so important for people.
Now that it has been made clear, the proposal says that a way for uploading
patches will be preserved. See the PDF attached to the "Another proposal
for modernization of our infrastructure" thread for details.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/