Another proposal for modernization of our infrastructure

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jan 28 13:07:34 GMT 2015

On Wednesday 28 January 2015 13:14:14 Martin Gräßlin wrote:

I agree on what Martin says about some issues with the web interface of
Gerrit, esp. in regard to shortcuts. Note though that the Qt gerrit has the
ability (via custom code) to show the full patch.

<snip>

> Given that code review is the core competence of gerrit I'm rather
> disappointed by the offerings. The fact that it's totally awesomely
> integrated into git doesn't change much. Whether I do:
> git push something magic:something other magic
> or
> rbt post -o --parent=somethingmagic
>
> doesn't matter to me. It's a command I have to learn by heart. So the fact
> that it's git all to the heart: meh, don't care.

Just a small note here: With git, you'd do

git review-push

or similar. The git config for that is then:

[alias]
    review-push = push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/master

I use this in Qt, where I have "qpush-dev" and "qpush-5.4" for bug fixes in
stable branches. It's much less "magic" (imo).

Also note that you do not:

- need to ammend the commit to include a REVIEW: line
- need to specify -g yes when updating reviews
- need to specify the -r $REVIEWID line when updating reviews
- need to update individual commits, each by running rbt post and specifing
the git hash manually

all in all, this makes it /much/ simpler to use than rbt.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de