Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Sat Jan 24 23:23:48 GMT 2015

On January 21, 2015 05:12:07 PM Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
>
> It contains a detailed summary of what is broken with our existing
> systems, why change is necessary and an evaluation of the options we
> considered. We have also made a proposal based on our evaluations and
> the wishlist of functionality drawn up the community.

Thanks for putting this report together!  I think the outline of the current
issues and the listed requirements are very useful, and as outlined
Phabricator does seem like a good contender.

I do have one important question regarding its review system, how does it
handle a series of commits?  For more complicated changes, there may be
several commits to get from point A to B that I'd like to get reviewed.
ReviewBoard doesn't currently handles this, and instead squashes them all into
one patch (see for instance: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117010/ , which
was originally made up of 5 different commits).  One of the plus points of
Gerrit for me was that it would have shown each of these commits separately
(though having each become a change isn't ideal to me).  How would Phabricator
handle a set of commits like this?
--
Matthew