kio-extras

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 12:17:57 GMT 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> kio-extras is currently released part of Plasma 5.  It's need said
> that it would be better to be part of applications because they're
> plugins used by applications and typically not by the desktop.

They are plugins used by kio... any app using kio can potentially use
them, even if the app isn't aware of that (e.g. think of the file open
dialog). That being said I am not sure workspace is the right place
for some of them. If anything most of them should probably go into
frameworks though. I'd find it very odd if the file open dialog
suddenly can't access sftp. There's only a handful that actually
aren't that useful.

>  With
> Plasma 5.2 about to go out shall I ask for kio-extras to be moved and
> if so into which module?

As bshah's link points out there are dependencies of workspace bits to
very specific slaves so they would definitely need splitting if
kio-extras were to move to an application scope.

HS