Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Jan 23 03:10:40 GMT 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 15:40:40 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:52 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 January 2015 17:12:07 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
> >> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
> >>
> >> It contains a detailed summary of what is broken with our existing
> >> systems, why change is necessary and an evaluation of the options we
> >> considered. We have also made a proposal based on our evaluations and
> >> the wishlist of functionality drawn up the community.
> >>
> >> Please find it attached - and let us know what you think. Feedback is
> >> welcome.
> >
> > Another question regarding Phabricator:
> >
> > Currently, Chili offers a very nice tree structure of projects, which
> > follows our KDE structure with frameworks, playground, extragear etc. pp.
> > - nice!
> >
> > Can Phabricator do the same? I assumed so, from the fact that you hinted
> > at it being able to generate the metadata XML file which is used by
> > kdesrc-build to replicate the tree structure e.g.
>
> We can probably use the tag feature of Phabricator to associate
> repositories to projects.
> This would allow us to tag projects as #extragear #multimedia as an
> example - giving us a different form of structure.
> It doesn't directly support the tree structure.
>
> (I will add that the tree structure support in Chiliproject is part
> sysadmin-hack, and is a big part of the upgrade problems associated
> with it as the changes needed to support it are both highly invasive
> and in an area which is regularly changed).
>
> > But https://showoff.phab.io/project/ only shows a list of projects. Same
> > for https://showoff.phab.io/diffusion/. I tried to create a new project
> > and a new repository, and could not figure out how to create a tree with
> > it.
> Projects can't contain other projects with Phabricator i'm afraid.

So this means kdesrc-build will break, no? At least for those who use the
default layout which mimicks the tree structure on projects.kde.org.

And I'd bet that tags or similar metadata can also be attached to gerrit
repos. I hoped to see Phabricator have a clear lead here, but apparently not
so.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff