Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 09:51:44 GMT 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
>
> Hello Ben,

Hi Luca,

>> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
>> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
>
> I know I'm much less into coding than other people here (which are probably
> far more knowledgeable), but in general the proposal seems very sane to me.
>
> Assuming this proposal is accepted by the community at large, how can the
> community help as well? Meaning, is there anything that can be done, given
> that sysadmin resources are thin and already spread out?

We can probably come up with some items I think.

Items like determining the rewrite rules for things like Quickgit,
WebSVN and Chiliproject would definitely help ease matters.
We'd also need to consider a migration path for existing Git project
subscriptions into Herald.

This isn't a complete list of course, I imagine there will be more.

> That question aside, I have a question on the proposal itself: KDE uses both
> Git and SVN, so my question is what will be done to ensure smooth transition
> also of the SVN side (as the hooks are very old, IIRC, and do a lot of
> things).

We should be able to use our existing Subversion hooks, much like our
existing Git ones should also be usable from what I understand.

> Also, can Phabricator be configured to do what our "hooklib.py" does here?
> In particular license checks,source checks such as eol and so on?

I've yet to look into the complete power of Herald and it's pre-commit
powers, but it is certainly possible that it is capable of doing some
of this, yes.

> Lastly, I assume that there is no plan to use the issue management of
> Phabricator for now, with the exact rationale of when Redmine was chosen
> (need to import existing database, size of said database...). I have no
> issue with it, but perhaps it should still be pointed out.

At least in terms of bugs.kde.org - there isn't a plan to use that at
the moment.
We would need to consider how to prepare Dr Konqi for that, and how to
ease the migration there which is probably another project of work.

The Wikimedia migration of their instance (about 80,000 bugs) took
quite a while from what I understand - and we have ~337,000 bugs in
our system at the moment (composed of 1.49 million comments).

We do have Kanboard (todo.kde.org) though, for which migration might
make sense and should be fairly easy to achieve.

> Thanks for all your work.

Thanks,
Ben