Changes to our Git infrastructure

Andrius da Costa Ribas andriusmao at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:54:54 GMT 2015

Just my humble half-cent:

regarding cli-tools:
I feel very uncomfortable on needing to install php on a Windows machine
(just as if it were Mono on a Linux machine) just to send patches to review
(maybe it's just prejudice of mine, but others may refrain from it too).
I'd prefer using a compiled program with minimum dependencies (we "all" do
have a C++ compiler) than needing an extra runtime/language/framework/etc.
just for that.
Particularly I've never used RBTools, and always have sent my "git diff"
patches through the web interface, so I second what Jeff said: "We've been
looking for more friendly, better-integrated, and more usable tools for a
long time. not just for newcomers, but especially for newcomers.". If we
provide advanced cli tools, let's make an effort to make they need a very
minimal set-up.

Regarding reviews:
I don't really have a strong opinion on whether RB encourages bad reviews
or not, but a little of a cultural aspect is present. I don't find it
discouraging when someone just writes "fix your coding style" because at
least someone took the time to look at it. What I find discouraging is when
a RR gets too old having no new reviews. The main point is that we need to
make the reviews actually flow (why there are no reviews? who can we ask to
look at it again? is it still valid? is there a better approach? If there
is really no one able to review, can we define a general rule to ship or to
discard it?)

--
Andrius.