Plasma 5.2 bits for kdereview

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Jan 8 16:54:02 GMT 2015

Jonathan Riddell ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 07:33:58AM -0200, Lamarque Souza wrote:
>>    Regarding ModemManagerQt, libbluedevil, libkscreen and baloo, they are
>>    supposed to be frameworks stuff (not sure about baloo) but they are not
>>    ready yet. Why not created a frameworks-next group to include them there
>>    until they are ready to move to frameworks (being it KF5 or even KF6 in
>>    the future)? The Linux kernel has such a thing and it seems to work for
>>    them.
>
> It's doubtful if they'll ever be ready for Frameworks which has strict
> quality requirements. Setting up yet another place to put them just
> means yet another person has to work out the release management bits
> and the distros need to package them separately.  I don't see any
> problem it solves and I do see extra work by not just making them
> officially part of Plasma.

Yes, of course having a different place requires some changes to the release
tools. Please note that having them in a different place does not mean they
can't released _for now_ at the same time as another big package like Plasma
(and go with a different release schedule when needed).

I still think that having this kind of modules (libraries) formally separated
is coherent with the vision of the post-kdelibs4 world.

That said, there is no consensus here, as it seems I'm expressing I'm part of
a minority view and I'm not in the release team, if no one else says anything
else I would stop here for this specific case. If the problem surfaces again
in future for more and more modules, I would raise it again.

Ciao
--
Luigi