Changes to our Git infrastructure

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jan 6 12:38:26 GMT 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> On Monday, 5 January 2015 22:22:19 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> Usually, half-way through they ask me, why doesn't KDE use github
>
> I do not understand how stuff would change if we used GitHub, though.

I'm just relaying what usually happens when I get a newcomer in #krita.

> I would encourage you to read
> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Gerrit#Getting_Started . Do you think
> that the workflow proposed there is reasonably beginner-friendly?

Well, I find the page not very penetrable, to the point that I don't
get the proposed workflow, but that might just be me, or the prose, which
certainly needs editing.

But I'm the wrong person to ask in any case. What you should do is hang
out on #kde-devel and the next time someone comes on the channel who says,
"Hello! I'm new here. I want to develop on KDE. What do I need to do?",
grab him and ask them to go through this process, and make notes whenever
they get confused.

Boudewijn