Changes to our Git infrastructure

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jan 5 22:08:43 GMT 2015

Well, this getting to a pretty useless discussion. You set out to prove
that you find it all very simple, and I am sure you find it simple.

You don't have to rebut everything I say point by point to prove whatever
you think you are proving because the point is this: you find it simple,
others don't. What you have to do is accept is this: others don't. The
rest of the world is fine with accepting that you think it's simple,
that's not the point of the discussion.

So, yes, you cannot write a git-for-dummies manual, for that we need
a genius like David Revoy. Just get this: you hope everyone has met a
DVCS. I regularly meet people for whom git is a magic way of getting new
features, and who have _no_ idea at all about what version control is, or
what source code is. And many of them turn out to be awesome contributors,
and some even, after a year or two, help with git bisecting a particular
bug.

So all I want to make sure here is that participation in KDE is as
accessible as possible to the great majority of the world that doesn't
want to play the 'serious software engineer', qt-project.org-style.

That is why I've given the link to what non-engineers active in #krita
think about KDE's infrastructure, and that's why I've tried to show you
how intimidating something you find very simple actually is, how many
steps that you know are optional, or necessary, you actually forgot to
mention in your little list.