Changes to our Git infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 16:06:32 GMT 2015

On Monday, 5 January 2015 16:05:07 CEST, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> - Existing KDE account holders can and do use git for their workflow.
>> - Using non-git workflow for others introduces a different
>> workflow to the mix.
>> - Having two workflows is more complex than having just a single one.
>>
>> Does it make it more understandable?
>
> No. What you're saying is "having two tools" is more complex.
> It's still one workflow.

I feel like you're just language-lawyering here. The workflow I propose
pushes the burden of producing clean patches to the contributor. The
workflow you're advocating for appears to center around sending patches
around, so by definition in your workflow there's a big difference in the
way 3rd party contributors work as opposed to what KDE developers do. My
proposal aims at closing this gap.

> GitHub is a notable example showing that people don't seem to
> have an issue with a workflow that uses Git + a web-based tool
> to manage their code reviews. I'm not saying we need to end up
> with that, I just don't think it's credible to claim that it's
> too difficult or complex.

That isn't an example that proves your point, though. The GitHub workflow
actually involves a `git push` to be done by the contributor. That means
that the GitHub workflow relies on contributors to curate git trees, and as
such I like that workflow [1] because both core developers and contributors
produce the same sort of artefacts. It's a different workflow from
uploading patches via browser or via some client-side tool, though, and I
believe you were saying that it's fine for a CR tool to work on patches and
not git trees.

[1] GitHub manages to screwup things when one does a rebase, but that's an
implementation detail for the purposes of this discussion. Yes, it does
make the workflow hardly usable for me.

Cheers,
Jan

--