Changes to our Git infrastructure

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Sat Jan 3 17:11:37 GMT 2015

On January 3, 2015 03:31:26 PM Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've gone over the comments everyone has made thus far and came up
> with the following community wishlist as it were.
> It represents a combination of what everyone has said, in a fairly
> distilled form.
>
> Regrettably there were one or two items which conflicted. I sided with
> the option which kept the barrier to entry as low
> as possible as that seemed to be the greater consensus within the thread.
>
> - Code Reviews:
>   - Can mark a review as Bad (Don't Ship This) / Okay (Fine with it
> going in) / Good (Ship It)
I think one thing that got missed from previous discussions would be a way for
anyone to submit a change once it is marked as Good, including ways for users
without commit access.

Due to this, Reviewboard (as currently implemented) is hard for people new to
KDE to use, as KDE contributors mark an RR as "Ship It" without having a way
for the new person to actually commit it.  This introduces an awkward step in
contributing, where either a user asks for a developer to actually commit the
code (often by remarking an RR with the "Ship It" designation), or a developer
explicitly asking on an RR if the user has commit access.
--
Matthew