Moving KDE Telepathy to kdenetwork

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 10:46:08 GMT 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dijous, 5 de febrer de 2015, a les 21:24:10, Sune Vuorela va escriure:
> > On 2015-02-02, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Another part that KDE Telepathy needs is KAccounts and we'd like
> > > to move that one too, probably to kde-runtime but there seems to be
> > > some disagreements of the purpose of kde-runtime. KAccounts is
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that everything in kde-runtime is only for kdelibs. in
> > Frameworks, everything has been moved into the framework it is a part
> > of.
> >
> > KAccounts sounds mostly like a network thing to me, at least so far. If
> > it becomes more than a network accounts thing, maybe it should become a
> > framework ?
> >
> > > [1] KDE Telepathy repos are:
> > >  ktp-accounts-kcm
> > >  ktp-approver
> > >  ktp-auth-handler
> > >  ktp-call-ui*
> > >  ktp-common-internals
> > >  ktp-contact-list
> > >  ktp-contact-runner
> > >  ktp-desktop-applets
> > >  ktp-filetransfer-handler
> > >  ktp-kded-module
> > >  ktp-send-file
> > >  ktp-text-ui
> >
> > would this also be a time to maybe reconsider if one went a bit
> > overboard with the original repository splitting?  Having a
> > libkdetelepathyinternalsprivate as a *public* available library somehow
> > smells like a bit wrong to me.
>
> +1 all that many ktp repositories always seemed more a hassle than a
> benefit
> to me. What's the benefit of such high granularity?

As responded to Sune, this follow the upstream philosophy/hierarchy. And
also what frameworks does. Each of these components can work fully
standalone
(just with ktp-common-internals) and allows anyone to take that component
without dragging all 200k LOC, much of they don't need.

I don't think it's a hassle really...possibly for packagers, I could see
that.
But as a developer...all you need is kdesrc-build, releasing is also
scripted...

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer