Another proposal for modernization of our infrastructure

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 12:53:19 GMT 2015

On Monday 02 February 2015 13:17:21 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2015 20:56:41 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > >
> > > Excuse me, but if KDE developers will have to follow equivalent steps
> > > as described at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Setting-up-Gerrit to
> > > contribute, then I predict another big loss of developers.
> >
> > I have to agree. Whenever I need to do a change for Qt I need to google
> > for
> > how to do it. Including putting serious thought in how the push command
> > must look like, how I need to adjust the examples provided and for which
> > ref/for/foo it has to be this time. This is something which seriously
> > concerns me with the outlook of gerrit. git has a steep learning curve,
> > gerrit adds quite some further steepness to it :-(
>
> Just add an alias for the refs, e.g. for 5.4 and dev, then use that in the
> future. `git qpush<tab>` and pick one, that's how I do it. E.g.:
>
> [alias]
>     qpushdev = push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/dev
>
> And yes, this is something that kdesrc-build could automate for us.

How would kdesrc-build know that we just created a new branch? To me that
looks like I would have to manually edit every time we branch in every repo I
use. meh, meh, meh

Also we do not force new devs to use kdesrc-build. When I see new developers
submitting there first patch, they hardly use kdesrc-build. So having that as
a "oh it will be so simple" is something I do not buy :-(

> The rest of the above is independent of the actual tool. Even with
> reviewboard or phabricator, you'll need to know where to push your change.
> Bugfix? Latest stable release you want to support. New feature? dev.

That's true and that's why I want to test out Phabricator to see how good the
support is there. For review board at least I can just ignore the branch when
pushing and fill in a free text form in the web ui. And yes, while it means
interacting with two tools, I consider it as fairly simpler than gerrit's way.

Cheers
Martin