Policy regarding QtWebKit and QtScript

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Dec 22 23:01:24 GMT 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> > Soon Qt 5.6 will be released and with it, 2 quite widely used
> > frameworks will disappear: QtWebKit and QtScript. Also QtQuick 1, but
> > I think this is much less of a problem.
>
> As far as I understand they are just going to be stopped from releasing,
> this
> doesn't mean we can't keep using them, no?

IMHO they will break sooner than later. They are going unsupported and IIRC
also getting out of CI. It's just a matter of time.

The 6-12-18 months they will still be buildable and usable are the time to
look for an alternative, or to enhance QJSEngine/QWebEngine, so that they
are good for KDE. According to qt-interest, some commercial and LGPL users
seem to face the same problems, therefore The Qt Company is probably open
to enhancements.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org