Policy regarding QtWebKit and QtScript

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:03:22 GMT 2015

On Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2015 19:44:21 CEST, Aleix Pol wrote:

> compiling for some time, but that's not a reason to rely on it on our
> side.

Sure, getting rid of it is mandatory.
What worries me is that this *break* happens in a *minor* Qt release. Should generally not happen. Period.

It should still be released and everytime you try to build against it (include it) and didn't "#define I_KNOW_WEBKIT_IS_BITROT_AND_AM_PORTING_TO_QT_WEBENGINE_ALREADY" you get a compiler error.

The idea that users may have remainders of QtWebKit 5.5 on their disk (or not and thus unresolvable linkage) and install Qt 5.6 and still have (not recompiled) client code that is now gonna crash scares me a bit - it doesn't really improve reputation.
Distros will virtually *have* to provide downstream webkit solutions to cover 3rd party installs and we'll get "somthing broke" reports on this all over the place.

Sigh.
Thomas