Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 20 03:08:20 GMT 2015

Thomas Lübking wrote:
> as a build dep requires it, "we just need //" isn't true - the
> requirements are controlled outside

Well, in that case, this:

> - pipe flex/yacc results through c++ rather than the C compiler

won't do much good, because the C++ compiler will not necessarily grok any
other C99isms in the code. This only really helps for "//" comments.

My suggestion is:
* do not ship Flex-generated code, and
* document the compatibility issue, and let it be the user's responsibility
  to use a version of Flex compatible with their compiler, which may be an
  older or patched one.

This is entirely a compatibility issue between 2 build tools (Flex and the
compiler), I don't see how this should be our (KDE's) problem.

        Kevin Kofler