Change to Mail Infrastructure - SPF and DKIM verification will now be enforced

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Dec 7 13:04:54 GMT 2015

On Friday, December 04, 2015 11:28:03 AM Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Friday, 4 December 2015 10:56:42 CET, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Note that in the long run with DMARC looming you will need to switch
> > to #2 anyway, and keeping your current behaviour will likely lead to
> > mail from people who use Yahoo / AOL / etc ending up in the spam
> > folder with many mailing list members. I'll be starting a discussion
> > regarding taking this step on KDE systems at some point in the near
> > future (switching to DMARC compatible policies).
> >
> > For more information, please see http://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
>
> Do I understand your plan correctly? The following projects appear to not
> re-sign their ML traffic, and they mangle headers at the same time. If I
> understand your plan correctly, this means that I won't be able to use my
> @kde.org addresses on mailing lists of these projects, for example:
>
> - Qt,
> - Debian,
> - Gentoo,
> - OpenStack,
> - anything hosted at SourceForge,
> - and many, many more, essentially anybody who were ignoring DKIM.
>
> Please, change your plans, this is obviously a huge no-go.

I cannot see how this would not hurt development. IMO, we can only enforce
DMARC once all of our stakeholders support it or for those that do.

We're not living in an isolated environment. We can be very strict and
religious about standards and enforcing them, but in the end it's going to
hurt us, and I don't think that's worth it at all.

We'd simply be wasting energy we're putting into KDE, and that's not
reasonable dealing with our resources.

I think the lack of objections to this plan stems from almost nobody
understanding what these plans actually mean for our development processes.
The discussion happening around it is therefore not representative, and I
think many who would have objected, haven't, for that reason.

I can't say that I fully understand it myself.

Please reconsider.

Cheers,
--
sebas