Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 08:29:59 GMT 2015

On Montag, 7. Dezember 2015 03:14:05 CEST, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> not surprised that they are now using C99 comments (which ARE compliant to
> the current C standard, and have been for 16 years (!)).

Sure, but since it seems it's the only C99 feature used(?, stdint is more a library thing, at least gcc more or less tagged it as such¹), this looks like an intended break. At least I completely fail to see the advantage of c++ style comments for a machine (rather the opposite, since "dumb" appending to lines can now produce undesired results)

Either way, Qt5 supports down to MSVC 2010, Qt4 down to MSVC 2008, so either we
- raise the bar in kdelibs/KF5 to require a C99 compliant compiler (as a build dep requires it, "we just need //" isn't true - the requirements are controlled outside
- ship only pre-produced and hand-fixed code from flex/yacc
- pipe flex/yacc results through c++ rather than the C compiler

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html