Change to Mail Infrastructure - SPF and DKIM verification will now be enforced

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Fri Dec 4 19:23:01 GMT 2015

Am Freitag, 4. Dezember 2015, 16:14:10 schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
> > Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> It is an extreme pity these mailing list providers have demonstrated
> >> such an extreme disregard for standards which aim to eliminate
> >> forgeries and ensure people cannot be digitally misrepresented. This
> >> is why we had to change Bugzilla a while back to send as
> >> bugzilla_noreply at kde.org instead of the acting user's email address -
> >> because Yahoo's enforcement policy meant GMail always placed mail from
> >> Yahoo users in the spam folder.
> >
> > Huh? Of course you _must_ send with a @kde.org address. My SPF policy
> > forbids you to send mail for my domain. And now you want to enforce SPF,
> > but don't properly handle it yourself?
>
> How would that work with mailing lists? I would receive your message
> with From: pointing at the mailing list address instead of your own?

There are 2 "From" addresses. One is the one in the message body, i.e. what
your mail program shows as "From:". This must not be altered.

The other one is the one used between the mail servers. This can change during
mail delivery. The last version you can see in the "Return-Path" header of
your mail. Looking at any mail delivered to you through this list shows:

This address should be set to a list-specific one by every mailinglist. SPF is
only one part of the problem, the other one is that a delivery failure from
the mailing list will end up at the original poster, not the mailing list bot.

Greetings,

Eike