Fwd: RFC: Enabling -DECM_ENABLE_SANITIZERS='address' in jenkins

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 22:44:23 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 01 December 2015 12:45:13 Scarlett Clark wrote:
> Resent - meant for list.
> Help please folks, I need someone with more knowledge with gcc and
> compiler flags / settings.
> I *think* what needs to be done is blacklists or some such. I don't
> think this should be *my* responsibility to fix.
> If it is.. then docker builds is back burnered for the unforeseeable
> future. I simply do not have time right now to try and figure
> this out. I accidentally overloaded myself with commitments. And
> holidays are arriving soon to top things off.
> It may very well be simple to fix...
> Sorry, but I need help here.

I think the following should work (for details see
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AddressSanitizer.html#suppressing-reports-in-external-libraries):

* Put a file, e.g. named kde-asan.supp, with the following content
somewhere where the build system can find it (e.g. add it to the build
system repository?)
=====
interceptor_via_lib:libxslt
interceptor_via_lib:libxml2
=====
(The documentation reads
interceptor_via_lib:NameOfTheLibraryToSuppress
I'm not sure if using "libxml2" as "NameOfTheLibraryToSuppress" is
correct. Maybe it needs to be "libxml2.so". DuckDuckGo did not find a
single example of the usage of interceptor_via_lib in the entire
Internet. Weird.)

* Define the following environment variable, e.g. as global environment
variable, in Jenkins
ASAN_OPTIONS=suppressions=<path to kde-asan.supp>

I don't know how our Jenkins is set up, so there might be better ways to
get the file with the suppressions into Jenkins.

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Scarlett Clark wrote to
> Albert Astals Cid
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
> > wrote:
> > > El Dijous, 10 de setembre de 2015, a les 18:20:19, Lamarque Souza
> > > va escriure:
> > >
> > > No, it can not, asan works only on code you have compiled with
> > > asan enabled (which for most of our dependencies we do not compile
> > > or they don't use ECM).
> >
> > OK, I am going to have to disagree here.

And rightfully so. The ASan documentation clearly states
"Runtime interposition allows AddressSanitizer to find bugs in code that
is not being recompiled."

Regards,
Ingo