Proposal to improving KDE Software Repository Organization

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 22:21:00 BST 2015

On Sunday 16 August 2015 13:51:29 Michael Pyne wrote:
> There's no reason even with our current build metadata that we'd *have* to
> have project hierarchies, as long as each underlying git repository name
> remains unique. It might even make things easier since there would be no way
> for a sub-path in our project hierarchy (such as kde/kdelibs/kactivities) to
> mask a git repository name (kdelibs in this case).

Ben and I discussed it today and we think there is usefulness in one level of subtree within the
Applications product, to be able to keep the 'groups' like kdegraphics, kdemultimedia etc. which
are useful in order to have a maintainer per 'group' (as reinforced by the release team recently).

But yes, only one level, and AFAICS only useful in Applications.
kactivities (to pick your example) would be "at the root of" Frameworks, no sub-path needed.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5