Replacement for KDateTime

John Layt john at layt.net
Mon Aug 10 09:34:54 BST 2015

On 9 August 2015 at 17:26, Dāvis Mosāns <davispuh at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I implement date/time related things I always use timestamps in
> UTC everywhere
> and when need to display to user or pass to some API then convert to
> respective
> format and timezone. Any other way makes it only more complicated.

That works well when recording the time something occurred at, i.e. in the
past, but it just doesn't work for events scheduled in the future when the
time zone rules could change for both the source of the event and in any
observers location. For example, if I'm in UTC+2 and I schedule a meeting
every Monday  at 10am for the next 2 years, and the government changes the
time zone rule from UTC+2 to UTC+3, if I stored the event time in UTC then
my meeting has suddenly changed from 10am to 11am! If someone in the New
York office phones in to the meeting, and their time zone rules change
relative to UTC then they also get the wrong time. The only workable
solution is to store the event in local time zone for the event location
(unless they explicitly want UTC), and then convert it to the destination
time zone at the last possible moment.

John.