Distros and QtWebEngine

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:22:57 BST 2015

On Monday, April 20, 2015 01:28:59 PM Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:

(I am talking with my openSUSE packager hat on as I am the Chromium packager
and am part of the community team that packages KDE/Qt)

> It embeds quite a lot of 3rd party stuff which we distros don't accept (in
> different grades depending on the distro) as we require to build using the
> system versions. Fedora's Rex Dieter tells me that's actually why chromium
> is not available for them.

Isn't this the real main issue with the new QtWebEngine and Chromium itself ??
In the past I have been trying to get Chromium to build using system version
of the 3rd party stuff, but this only worked out for some of them. Google
didn't just included the 3rd party stuff, but also altered it to their needs
and some things never got upstreamed.

From what I understood the main reason for Fedora not to provide Chromium is
the inclusion of the ffmpeg sources. Fedora is not allowed to provide binaries
nor sources that contain stuff that could have legal implications. This was
also initially openSUSE's main concern, however the legal department of SUSE
accepted having the sourcecode on our BuildSercie, as long as we did not build
any codecs from it that could cause these legal issues.

This situation will not likely change as that there are old bug reports
regarding this situation and they were never resolved.

We followed the same approach for QtWebEngine and at the moment we are
providing both to our users.

> Moreover we can't build debugging symbols on most archs due to the enormous
> amount of RAM+swap it involves in the linking process (more than 8GB last
> time I checked). This is at least the same as QtWebKit, but seems to be
> getting worse.

Switching to the gold linker would help quite a lot here. At least I am able
to build Chromium on armv7l with it :)

Regards

Raymond