Syncing ECM release number with KF5

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sun Apr 5 20:36:35 BST 2015

On Monday 06 April 2015 02:57:11 Michael Palimaka wrote:
> On 04/04/15 19:44, David Faure wrote:
> > But since both Stephen Kelly and Alex Merry (maintainers of ECM) are in
> > favour of switching, I'll make the switch.

Well, there's a bit of a difference between "no objections" and "support", but
no matter.

> Will ECM move from kdesupport to frameworks too?

No, it's not a framework; kdesupport is the right logical place for it.

As for how closely tied to the frameworks it is, I'm not sure. Currently, we
release in sync - it occurs to me now (possibly too late) that at some point
it may make sense to bump the major version of e-c-m, even if we don't bump
the major version of KF5 (eg: bumping the required CMake version and dropping
some compatibility modules or function interfaces that are long-disused). The
extent to which the frameworks SC guarantee extends to e-c-m is vague, at
least (after all, it doesn't necessarily extend to other frameworks
dependencies, and e-c-m isn't stricly required to *use* frameworks, only to
build them, and it's not tied to Qt versions in the way frameworks are).

Alex