libkface

Tobias Leupold tobias.leupold at web.de
Thu Sep 25 11:14:43 BST 2014

Hi list!

Here's (most of) a mail I recently posted on the kde-graphics-devel mailing
list (cf. the whole discussion: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-graphics-devel/2014-September/000484.html):

I'm from the KPhotoAlbum project. We recently introduced support for face
detection and face recognition using libkface (which is currently hosted in
extragear/libs, cf. https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/libs/libkface/
and http://api.kde.org/extragear-api/libs-apidocs/libkface/libkface/html/index.html). Likely, this will be a part of the
next release. Actually, we are the first project apart from Digikam (who
initiated and maintain libkface) to use libkface.

This leads to a problem: at the moment, libkface is distributed with the
Digikam sources. There's an own git repository for the lib's sources in the
KDE repositories, but there's no own release.

Some distributors (e. g. Gentoo) have an own package for libkface
nevertheless, others don't (e. g. Debian). So, at the moment, we would have to
include libkface in our sources, as Digikam does (which would lead to
collisions if both KPA and Digikam would be installed and is perhaps not a
good idea) or we would have to pull the full Digikam package as a dependency
if the user wants libkface support.

Both "solutions" don't seem to be nice.

Thus, Gilles Caulier from Digikam suggested to move libkface into
kdegraphics/libs, so that it will be included into the normal KDE release
cycle and will be independent of Digikam (Digikam apparently can't manage a
separate lib release itself, the original discussion can be found at
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2014-September/075737.html).

The discussion on kde-graphics-devel finished with the statement this had to
be determined by kde-core-devel. So what do you think?

Yours, Tobias