Review Request 119497: Report crashes of KDE apps in Apple OS X (1) (fix kcrash)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 16 13:07:27 BST 2014

On Tuesday September 16 2014 11:31:30 Ian Wadham wrote:

> The socket name is generated in 3 or 4 places, I am not sure how many. All of these must "line up" if KCrash, kdeinit4, klauncher, kded4 and kwrapper are to run as and when required and interact correctly on Apple OS X. And I am not even sure how much or how many of those background processes are really needed on Apple OS X or what their usual uses are or what their uses should be on Apple OS X or even whether new versions of all the processes are going to be used in KF5.

I think that's irrelevant. It's a blackbox ... so be it. We just know all apps must use the same $DISPLAY value. I'm pretty sure all apps also go through a shared KDE initialisation phase, probably part of kdelibs. Forcing the DISPLAY env. variable to a sensible, constant value at the start of that phase should set the variable as required. It's a hack, but we're probably not going to be able to do any nicer for KDE4.
KF5 will probable (hopefully)? evolve to using something other than $DISPLAY ... unless that same thing is used by Wayland!

R.