Using Gerrit for code review in KDE

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Sep 11 11:05:35 BST 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-09-10, 06:54:50, Ben Cooksley wrote:

> In regards to why we are permitting Gerrit to be evaluated - it is
> primarily to allow for the community to come to a decision. The
> complexity of the user interface among other issues are still problems
> which sysadmin believes could block it's overall adoption.
>
> I had hoped that independent projects, rather than Frameworks or
> anything along those lines would be the test subjects in this case
> though.

Jan's invitation for testing has been brought to a wider audience during his
talk at Akademy, so any of our projects is welcome to request being added to
the test.

The reason we selected two frameworks during the frameworks BoF is that we
already have the requirement for reviews there and Gerrit provides a much
nicer workflow that we really want to have at our disposal.

Basically we try to achieve two goals here:
- make developers working on frameworks aware of the advantages of the
workflow Gerrit enables

- provide active and multi-contributor projects as test cases for the setup

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring