Location of Dr Konqi in Frameworks/KF 5

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 05:13:17 BST 2014

Hi Alex,

On 09/09/2014, at 7:48 PM, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have heard that Dr Konqi source code for Frameworks/KF 5
> has been placed in plasma-workspace.
>
> Please could you consider keeping it in some location that is
> common to all platforms?  This includes both Linux platforms and
> non-Linux platforms, such as Windows and Apple OS X, where
> Plasma is not usually required.
>
> Dr K used to be in kde-runtime on KDE 4 and is needed on
> every platform, along with KCrash.
>

> It was placed there because it pulls a large bunch of dependencies we
> don't want for KCrash framework. Some work on it is needed though.
>
> Aleix

As mentioned in my other post, I am doing some work on Dr Konqi,
mainly to get it to work properly (and not crash) in KDE 4 on Apple OS X.

I think my bug fixes and changes to keep up with new versions of
Bugzilla software (on the b-k-o database), will be forward portable
to KF5/Frameworks.

Re dependencies, I think I can remove a large indirect one: Dr K's
dependence on KCookieJar and kded.  Bugzilla is no longer using
cookies.

I see Dr K as an app, to be ported to Frameworks just like any other
app, but sooner than most.  I am not putting up my hand for that,
because of advancing age and plans to retire from KDE work.

There are several other apps and utilities in kde-runtime.  Have all
of those gone into plasma-workspace?

Some of them would definitely be needed on all platforms, some would
be peculiar to a KDE desktop and some might be obsolete (e.g. Nepomuk)
or handled another way in KF5.

Is there a plan to position and port them?

Cheers, Ian W.