Using Gerrit for code review in KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 16:39:54 BST 2014

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 16.59:35 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 September 2014 16:44:22 CEST, Eike Hein wrote:
> > Exclusively, or do they remain on ReviewBoard as well?
>
> My understanding is that they do remain on RB as well for now. The goal of
> this excercise is to get some understanding on how Gerrit works and whether
> it's a good match for frameworks; we aren't imposing some wide-ranging
> changes.

Would it not make more sense to trial it using newer / smaller / unstable
projects, as it is an experiment?

As it stands with plasma-framework in particular, there is now a difference in
workflow depending on what *part* of plasma one is working on (framework or
workspace). So not only is it now different from the majority of frameworks,
it is also "different from itself".

That this doesn't follow current documentation (such as it is) for new
developers certainly can't help any.

+1 for striving to improve KDE's infrastructure[1], -1 for experimenting with
significant core repositories that are part of a larger stable release.

[1] even if I have my personal doubts w/regards to gerrit's appropriateness
for KDE

--
Aaron J. Seigo