Question about QSslCipher::protocolString

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:14:36 BST 2014

On Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014 16:35:35 CEST, Dawit A wrote:
> protocolString: SSLv3
> However if one uses openssl directly, the following information is returned:
>
> $ openssl s_client -connect blog.mozilla.org:443

> New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA
> So the negotiated protocol when using openSSL directly is returned as
> TLSv1.1 where as QSslCipher almost always returns SSLv3. My question is why
> the negotiated protocol in QSslCipher is different from the one we get
> through openssl directly?

I get SSLv3 from blog.mozilla.org, but TLSv1.2 from mail.google.com.

Checking "qDebug() << QSslSocket::defaultCiphers();", "QSslCipher(name=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits=256, proto=TLSv1.2)" is top of the list here and most SSLv3 variants on the very bottom.

--> THERE IS NO TLSv1.1 IN THAT LIST, NOR IN "::supportedCiphers()"

However, I don't know why QSslSocket doesn't provide TLSv1.1 (here)

Cheers,
Thomas