Using Gerrit for code review in KDE

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Oct 16 22:43:00 BST 2014

Jan Kundrát wrote:
> A random data point -- I asked a 3rd-party contributor to send a patch to
> Trojita through Gerrit earlier today. He accomplished that goal so fast
> that I asked him for an estimate on how much time it took. The answer was
> 15 minutes, including reading the docs and setting up the client-side
> hooks. Quite frankly, I don't think I was faster when I first used
> ReviewBoard.

Strange, because that's not at all the experience I had submitting patches
to Qt/Gerrit compared to KDE/ReviewBoard.

In ReviewBoard, I export my patch from the git-cola menu and I submit it
through a nice web interface that lets me input all the details (target
branch, reviewers, etc.). I don't need to fire up a Konsole at all, nor read
any documentation. It just works.

In Gerrit, I basically get an ugly command-line interface: I have to push to
a magic ref encoding all the information (and IIRC, git-cola only lets me
enter the basic refs/for/branchname, the special characters in stuff like
%r=foo at example.com confuse it, so I'd have to push from a terminal if I want
to use those). Setting reviewers requires a special command-line-style
parameter appended to the ref that is found in the documentation (that %r=
thing). There is also no autocompletion nor client-side validation of the
reviewer nicks/addresses, unlike on ReviewBoard's friendly web interface.

And the next time I want to submit something to Gerrit, I'm sure I'll have
to reread the documentation all over again, whereas ReviewBoard is dead
simple.

I can see you liking Gerrit if you're used to juggling with obscure git
command lines, but as a long-term user of Cervisia, kdesvn and now git-cola,
I find a web submission interface much nicer to work with.

        Kevin Kofler