desktoptojson and list properties / i18n of JSON files

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Nov 19 17:46:28 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 19 November 2014 17:30:28 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. November 2014, 01:28:51 schrieb Kevin Funk:
> > On Wednesday 19 November 2014 00:09:25 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimarts, 18 de novembre de 2014, a les 23:01:14, Alex Merry va
>
> escriure:

> > > And Qt introduced a technology without making it translatable? What
> > > fields
> > > do we need to make translatable? Can somebody point me to such a .json
> > > file
> > > we'd like to translate?
> >
> > Here's one: http://pastebin.kde.org/p4p38fqr1
> >
> > That's kdevpatchreview.json, generated from kdevpatchreview.desktop via
> > kcoreaddons_desktop_to_json(...) during the CMake run.
>
> But the kdevpatchreview.desktop is installed nevertheless and is apparently
> used to get the translations for Name + Comment/Description.
> Having german translations for Name + Comment/Description only in
> kdevpatchreview.json at build time, but removed after installation in the
> installed kdevpatchreview.desktop file makes them untranslated for me.

And if the .desktop is not installed at all (we do this in other places, and
would/should do it here too). Are translations then gone alltogether? One more
reason to get i18n support for .json files.

> Looks to me like translations are not supported via json files.

Please check the above. Anyhow, imo it should be our goal to get this
supported. In the ideal scenario, a plugin would be just a .so installed into
the right directory. No .desktop, no sycoca cache.

So again, what is necessary to get this done?

Bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de