desktoptojson and list properties

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Nov 16 22:52:25 GMT 2014

Hello all!

KDevelop is currently bitten hard by a bug/limitation in desktoptojson. It
does not actually understand the .desktop files and custom properties get
converted to plain JSON strings. Looking at the sources it's also clear why,
only a selected list of .desktop properties is interpreted as lists.

We have a custom kdevelopplugin.desktop file that describes our custom
properties via something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=ServiceType
X-KDE-ServiceType=KDevelop/Plugin
X-KDE-Derived=KPluginInfo
Name=KDevelop Plugin
[PropertyDef::X-KDevelop-Interfaces]
Type=QStringList

To me it looks like I'll have to add support for such files to desktoptojson.
But I wonder: Where was/is the code for the above files (how are they
called?)?

Since desktoptojson will be called for the plugins we ship in KDevplatform,
how would/could I make desktoptojson "know" about the kdevelopplugin.desktop
file without it being installed yet?

Or can we nowadays write the .json files directly, i.e. can scripty/ki18n cope
with them nowadays?

Bye
--
Milian Wolff