Muon and kde-gtk-config moved to kde/workspace - was - Re: Moving repositories in the module structure

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 15:23:26 GMT 2014

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Aleix, can you please explain to us why Mion Discover and Apper are two
>> different things in principle?
>>
>> Seems the Apper guys disagree.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Albert
>>

> There's 2 main differences:
> 1. Muon Discover has historically used OS metadata to define what are
> applications an what's relevant to the users (AKA end-user applications).
> Although they claim it will be done eventually on Apper as well. In any case
> Muon Discover doesn't aim to manage packages, it aims to provide a library
> of resources for the user to enhance his KDE/Plasma experience.
Apper uses metadata to define application for years now, it also provided
Plasma integration for removing applictions directly from kickoff thanks
to PackageKit session interface.
However on the point of managing packages Apper doesn't tries to merge
the two things in a way you don' t need to open another application to install
a package...

> 2. Muon has different backends, so we're not solely relying on PackageKit
> which means it can act as a frontend to different technologies other than
> packagekit, currently bodega, KNS/OCS and Apt (the last one for historic and
> practical reasons).
Support for different technologies could also be added to Apper but no
one ever stepped up to give a hand, and I myself don't like much these others
to do it...

--
Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com