other_stuff.h | [was: Review Request for KDecoration]

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:00:24 GMT 2014

On Dienstag, 11. November 2014 14:43:56 CEST, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

>> "BorderSize" - do we *really* want to keep this or rather allow
>> pixel/pointwise configuration of 2,3, or 4 border sizes globally?

> could you please explain your alternative approach? I'm kind of
> not getting it and yes I'm also unsure about providing the BorderSize enum,
> but I want to ensure that Decoration plugins provide large borders for
> accessibility.

Well "ensure" is a problem in any case, but what I meant was a global setting for left, right, top & bottom border widths (in pixels or points, latter translated to pixels by the core)
Eventually group this to "vertical" and "horizontal" border widths or "vertical", "top" and "bottom"
Eventually also titlebar oriented (ie. you've the titlebar, its counter side and the orthogonals)

The user would say: "I want 0pt extra border on the titlebar, 4pt on the counter side (usually bottom) and 1pt on the orthogonal ("left & right") edges.

The core then makes a decoration with such padding and either the deco plugin reasonably paints for this sizes or it will cause artifacts.

This is to address bugs where ppl. complained that there's no reasonable decoration size - either they're unusably small or ridiculously huge.

Also decos do not get a chance to interpret "huge" and "small" with their own idea of their meanings. The user will get the same paddings for every decoration.

Cheers,
Thomas