New CHANGELOG: keyword

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Nov 8 18:59:01 GMT 2014

On Saturday 08 November 2014 01:52:06 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Divendres, 7 de novembre de 2014, a les 16:35:21, Thiago Macieira va
>
> escriure:
> > On Saturday 08 November 2014 00:58:49 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Hi, we've added a new CHANGELOG: keyword to
> > > https://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy#Special_keywords_in_GIT_
> > > an
> > > d_ SVN_log_messages
> > >
> > > So that you highlight that that comit should end up in the release
> > > notes.
> > >
> > > We still need something that parses it but step by step :)
> >
> > Why not use the Qt script[1]? I also recommend making it a tag like Qt's,
> > so people can write more than one line.
> >
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/76087
>
> Does the Qt tag support being there without text and thus creating the
> changelog based on the first line of the commit?

You'd have to modify the script for that.

We don't do that in Qt because the commit subject and the changelog have
different audiences. The commit subject and most of the body are meant for
other developers of the same source code and describe why the change was made,
how it was made, other alternatives, risks, etc. The changelog is meant for
the users of the API, who aren't familiar with the internals, and describe
what changed that is relevant for them.

Example:

    QMainWindow: respect the maximum size of the central widget

    Make sure the dock widgets get the available space when the
    central widget cannot expand any more.

    [ChangeLog][QtWidgets][QMainWindow] Dock widgets will now be resized
    properly when the central widget has a fixed size.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358