Compatibility problems with latest GTK+ applications

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 9 10:07:34 BST 2014

On Fri, 9 May 2014, John Layt wrote:

> Exactly, they seem to have forgotten what the G actually stands for
> :-)  Which makes me wonder how apps like Gimp who use Gtk but are not
> part of Gnome and want to be cross-desktop and cross-platform are
> going to be affected?  And how are the other Gtk desktops like XFCE
> affected?

Well, from what I see from Gimp and MyPaint, GTK3 is a big problem
already. Gimp's development is glacial, of course, but they started their
GTK3 port ages ago and still haven't merged it. MyPaint uses GTK3 now,
which means it doesn't work on Windows anymore. Tablet support is
completely broken. As for inkscape, it builds against GTK3, but isn't
stable at all yet, and GTK2 remains preferred.

And in the meantime, the GTK developers themselves have made pretty clear
that GTK is for Gnome applets, not big cross-platform desktop
applications: https://lwn.net/Articles/562856/.

" GTK+ is primarily intended to be used on the GNOME desktop, using X11 as
the backend."

"GTK+ must focus on being the toolkit of the GNOME platform first, and
tackle integration second."

And so on...

Boudewijn