Compatibility problems with latest GTK+ applications

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 9 03:55:48 BST 2014

Em qui 08 maio 2014, às 15:01:10, Martin Gräßlin escreveu:
> On Thursday 08 May 2014 14:39:49 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > > * CSD styled windows don't react on compositing changes [1]
> > > * Double decorated windows [2]
> > > * CSD styled windows do not detect when re-parented to a decoration [3]
> > > * CSD context menu ignores _NET_ALLOWED_ACTIONS [4]
> > > * CSD context menu doesn't use _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES [5]
> > > * CSD context menu doesn't honor _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT [6]
> > > * Shadow included in CSD window [7]
> > > * Window "disappears" when middle clicking client side decoration [8]
> > > * Missing maximize and minimize buttons in client side decoration [9]
> > > * Decoration buttons do not follow custom specified layout in desktop
> > > environment [10]
> > > * A hung GTK application cannot be closed [11]
> > > * Context menu on window decoration is not the one of the environment
> > > [12]
> > > * No time based drag delay on window moving [13]
> > > * No drag delay on window resize [14]
> >
> > That is pretty great, thank you for taking the time! Some of these
> > things unfortunately are design-decisions by GNOME, which I raised in
> > IRC discussions a while ago, and where I think the interest is pretty
> > low for fixing them (after getting some feedback on e.g. the CSD
> > menus).
>
> which of the bug reports do you consider affected by design-decisions? I did
> not even report the mismatching cursors and the missing close button for
> dialogs and similar things.

I'd say at least 11, 12. A design decision of any CSD is that the client
controls its closing and, therefore, if the client is hung, you can't tell it
to close. You can kill the application with kill, xkill or using a global
shortcut (Alt+F4, Ctrl+Alt+Esc, etc.) As for the context menu, it can be said
it's part of the themeing: the CSD application needs to get information from
the desktop in order to draw the proper decorations. You could say that
includes what the context menu should look like.

That said, I fully expect 4, 6, 9, 13 and 14 to be also closed as "working as
designed" because of the UX decisions. That is, "we think this dialog
shouldn't have a close button, so we won't draw it, despite what the desktop
says".
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358